Classic-Cars-Online.co.uk  

The online Classic Community

 
 
   

 

spacer

Morris Minor and Traveller Images and Technical Specification

 

 

Split screen morris minor

morris minor traveller

   

History

In 1952, the Minor line was updated with an Austin-designed 0.8 L (803 cc/49 in) overhead valve A-Series engine replacing the original sidevalve unit. The engine had been designed for the Minor's main competition, Austin's A30, but became available as Austin and Morris were merged into the British Motor Corporation. The new engine felt stronger, though all measurements were smaller than the old. The 52 second drive to 60 mph (97 km/h) was still calm, with 63 mph (101 km/h) as the top speed. Fuel consumption also rose to 36 mpg (6.5 L/100 km). An estate version was introduced, known as the Traveller (a Morris naming tradition for estates, also seen on the Mini), along with van and pick-up versions. The Traveller featured an external structural ash (wood) frame for the rear bodywork, with two side-hinged rear doors. The frame was varnished rather than painted and a highly visible feature of the bodystyle. Rear bodies of the van versions were all steel. The 4-seat convertible and saloon variants continued as well. The grille was modified in October, 1954, and a new dashboard with central speedometer was fitted. Almost half a million examples had been produced when the line ended in 1956. The Motor magazine tested a four door saloon in 1952 and reported a top speed of 62 mph (100 km/h) and acceleration from 0-50 mph (80 km/h) in 28.6 seconds. A fuel consumption of 39.3 miles per imperial gallon (7.19 L/100 km/32.7 mpg-US) was recorded. The test car cost 631 including taxes. [5] Engines: 1952-1956 - 803 cc A-Series Straight-4, 30 hp (22 kW) at 4800 rpm and 40 lbfft (54 Nm) at 2400 rpm

The car was again updated in 1956 when the engine was increased in capacity to 0.9 L (948 cc/57 in). The two piece split windscreen was replaced with a curved one-piece one and the rear window enlarged. In 1961 the semaphore-style trafficators were replaced by the more modern flashing direction indicators then becoming the norm for the UK market. An upmarketcar based on the Minor floorpan but with larger BMC B-Series engine was sold as the Riley One-Point-Five/Wolseley 1500 beginning in 1957: a version, with tail fins added, of this Wolseley / Riley variant was also produced in Australia as the Morris Major. Morris Minor Traveller (estate) 1971 In 1961 the Morris Minor became the first British car to sell over 1,000,000 units. To commemorate this event, a limited edition of 350 two-door saloons were produced with distinctive lilac paintwork and a white interior. Also the badge name on the side of the bonnet was modified to read "Minor 1,000,000" instead of the standard "Minor 1000". Morris Minor 1000 Pickup (N. American model) 1960 The Minor 1000 gained an even larger engine, 1.1 L (1098 cc/67 in) in 1962. It could now reach 77 mph (124 km/h), yet consumption was down to 6.2 L/100 km (38 mpg). Other modifications included a new dashboard layout (a lidded glove box on the passenger side, an open cubby hole in front of the driver), a different heater, plus new, larger tail/flasher and front side/flasher lamps. Van versions were popular with the British Post Office, and some of these had front wings made of rubber, in order to cope with the sometimes unforgivingly busy situations in which they were expected to work. During the life of the 1000 model, the car began to seem dated, and production declined. The Tourer was deleted in 1969, with the saloon line gone the next year. 1971 was the last year for the Traveller and commercial versions. Nearly 850,000 Minor 1000s were made in all. The car was officially replaced by the Morris Marina, which replaced it on the Cowley production lines, but for the management of what had, by 1971, mutated into the British Leyland Motor Corporation, the Morris Marina was seen primarily as a 'cheap to build' competitor to Ford's top selling (and in many respects conservatively engineered) Cortina, rather than as a replacement for the (in its day) strikingly innovative Morris Minor. Engines: 1956-1962 - 948 cc A-Series Straight-4, 37 hp (28 kW) at 4750 rpm and 50 lbfft (68 Nm) at 2500 rpm 1962-1971 - 1098 cc A-Series Straight-4, 48 hp (36 kW) at 5100 rpm and 60 lbfft (81 Nm) at 2500 rpm

Cars For Sale




Parts For Sale

  BACK